Hi everyone!  I have never machine embroidered before but I am patiently (okay, not so patiently) awaiting the Janome I bought on a sewing site to arrive.  My question is what is a good source of just basic machine embroidery information, stuff like what kind of stabilizer to use and when, info. on different threads, etc.?

Suzanne

Views: 190

Replies to This Discussion

I have a great handout from Foriani that tells just what stabilizer to use. I am very new and haven't even done a quilt with it. Let me see if it is copyright protected. If not, I'll scan and e mail you.
Thanks, Paula!

Just bought a Bernina 830 with a program for my computer , Bernina Embroidery software 6.   That was a chunk of change, whew.  Hoping to find new resources for embroidery projects.  Trying to learn the format for using the software.  This ole chick is from the punch card era.  Taking me some time to learn all the new steps.  I've been sewing and quilting for several years.  The embroidery is a whole new frontier.

I have a designer 1  It is a little out of date but to me it is still a wonderful Machine. Love it.  I am working on a Sunbonnet Sue now. I have it on my list to finish it this week.  I still don't know all what it will do. Also working on a rag quilt. It is embroidery also. Gosh I don't even remember where I put it.  I better get my self busy. But it is more fun trying new things out. Marie

I've found the Yahoo Groups to be a great source of information.  You can join one that is specific to your machine and some that are generic to machine embroidery.

Also, a good sewing supply store should be able to advise on stabilizers and threads to get you started.  You will soon learn what your own preferences are. Don't be afraid to experiment.

The Floriani folks make thread and stabilizers, both pretty good stuff.  My local sewing machine store has a periodic class in which stabilizers to use to do what -- using the Floriani products.  The other best resource I've found is asking other embroiderers.  I also find that I don't need to use any stabilizer if I am doing "redwork" or other quilting type designs on quilts - I just quilt straight through the whole sandwich - and end up with a reversible quilt.

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service