Come one come all who want to focus on using up your stash.  Set your goals if you like or just come on into the group to keep yourself on track.  All are accepted.  

Views: 329

Replies to This Discussion

Well this will be a wonderful year to get some stash used up.  I have several projects I want to do, hopefully I will have the time to do so.  No kids at home anymore and few obligations.  Think it can happen, at least I believe it will.

Hi Beth,

I only have 1 project for the PhD challenge so I can participate in the 2020 Stashbusting challenge here with you.  I'm getting older so I should be using up some stash.  

I have not been active in this group since 2012 please tell me what the PhD challenge is. 

Thanks

Barb

Barb, that challenge is in the UFO group. You can read the page, but must be axUFO group member to join .

I am also a member of that group thank you I will have to take a look at it! Thanks for the quick reply

I often wonder who said we have to have several projects going at once?  It can be so overwhelming.  I have one top done, doing the second, and have the third one staring at me saying pick me next.  LOL

Using my stash.  Think I am going to use some of the cuddle fabric I have purchased even if it is gray.  The star quilt and wilderness quilts are both blues.  Gray is a nice neutral.  Yes, I know, pics.  Will get there.  I am very behind on those. 

Hello Elizabeth.  Glad you are with us.  Using up the stash seems hard when you see so many pretty fabrics.  I need to use mine up so hubby does not keep griping about the garage being full. LOL

Hi Beth,

I have been working on my first Stashbusting quilt of 2020.  It has such a story. My cleaning lady, Linda, and her sister found 3 embroidery kits from long ago for free in Linda's mail room.  Her sister took one and Linda took the other 2 for me.  The one kit had 12 cross stitched ducks and there were a spots, maybe blood, and a number of places where the blocks might have been dampened and had blue ink stains.  I finished the few places that still needed embroidery and washed the blocks by hand in cold water and soap three times.  The stains and spots improved a little but were still there.  I sashed the blocks with light and dark green from my stash and used a piece of fabric for the back that I bought for $2. a metre at the QOV garage sale and used a lovely piece of low loft cotton batting I had that was just the right size.  So I sandwiched the quilt downstairs.  2 of my friends closed the safety pins for me.  Today I started machine quilting it.  Story will continue.

I am, of course, in for another year. I definitely need to keep monitoring myself! Loosen the reins, even a little, and I get into so much trouble! LOL I have 2 projects going right now and haven't bought anything for either of them, so far. I do think I may have to buy backing. We will see. I should take Liz's lead and make a unique scrap back.

Ginny,

As soon as I have a scrap of any size, I started sewing it to the pile of scraps I have.  In that way, all the scraps are dedicated to 12 1/2" scrap pieced blocks.  I don't save them to cut into certain size blocks anymore.  And whenever I am machine quilting or piecing, I take breaks to press and square up my dedicated scraps, like I am rewarding myself or changing position to soothe any sore places.

I have a pile of scraps that has built up on my cutting table to be cut again into certain sizes and those should be the first to get ruthless with and just sew them together.  Crumb piecing is the same idea as what you are talking about but usually uses much smaller pieces and I do that all the time. I could have a back in no time, right?

Ginny, I guess the speed in making enough scrap blocks for a backing depends on the amount of scraps you have and how much time you have to work on it.

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service