I have a quilt my great grandmother made called "trip around the world"  It is very and the fabric in places has dry rotted.  I would love to stabilize it, and may have done the wrong thing by using an iron stablizer.   Some the squares are completely gone.  I don't know what to do at this point, so any ideas would be appreciated.

Cindy in NC  

Views: 194

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I think first I would want to find some fabric to fill in the missing squares, and then I'd sew them to thin muslin rather than try to stabilize them. An old quilt (1890) that I have and will repair one day fell apart when gently washed, and some of the shapes had deteriorated. In taking it apart to try to replace those pieces, I found that the entire quilt consisted of twenty-five 16" squares, all muslin covered with the odd shapes of colored fabric. I didn't know that that was how crazy quilts were formed.

I looked for a "trip around the world" quilt to see what size your blocks might be, and found one on google, which reminded me of one I'd just seen at Facebook, on a site called 24 blocks. Here's the link to that quilt, and its maker: http://www.24blocks.com/2013/02/some-bright-quilts-from-our-members...

Good luck~ old quilts are worth saving, if  only to pass on.

I posted a pic of the quilt top, the back was completely destroyed.  Thanks for the tips.

Cindy

RSS

Welcome Quilters!

MyQuiltPlace.com is brought to you entirely free as a service of the American Quilter's Society. We hope you enjoy meeting one another and sharing your experience and expertise. Enjoy!

American Quilter's Society

--Advertisement--

Badge

Loading…

© 2020   Created by American Quilter's Society.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service